Let’s talk about “Smart Locks”
By aalockke86649255, Apr 19 2017 07:01PM
What is a “Smart Lock?”
A smart lock is a door lock that works electronically and is designed to lock and unlock when it receives commands from an authorized device using a wireless protocol and a cryptographic key to perform the authorization process. It also monitors access and sends alerts for the different events it monitors and some other critical events related to the status of the device.
Smart locks, like traditional mechanical locks, need two main parts to work. The lock and the key. In the case of these electronic locks, the key is not a physical key but a smartphone which wirelessly will perform the authentication needed to automatically unlock the door, usually with an app.
Below we have listed Pros and Cons:
• Keyless entry
• You can change your credentials often via the app
• You can give someone access short of long term as long as they have the app
• Some automatically lock when you leave the building, some open up on approach (these can be both a pro and a con depending on how you have the app and the lock set up)
• No keys hidden under the flowerpot
• No more lost or misplaced keys
• Some have a camera that allows you to see who is knocking at your door or ringing the doorbell via the app
• Smart locks allow users to grant access to a third party by the means of a virtual key
• Connection issues: keep your phone charged, internet or data accessibility
• Usually the app has a monthly fee.
• As with anything electronic these days, some are easy to hack
• Technology sometimes fails
• More of a convenience than a “higher” security – can be drilled open and destroyed just like a keyed lock
• Most locks only lock one lock, so if your door has a deadbolt and a locking knob you will need separate credentials for each lock
There are many types on the market, prices range from $149.00 and up.
We recommend that you do your research, know what to expect before purchasing one of these devices.
Still interested in going keyless but not with your smart phone?, we recommend and install the Emtek wireless push button deadbolt or door handle for about the same price as the smart locks, with no added costs once installed. http://emtek.com/electronic-locks